CHECKLIST OF EVIDENCE REQUIRED FOR LEGAL HELP ASSESSMENT
You must bring the following evidence with you to your first appointment. Unfortunately, if you do not bring the necessary documents (and ID) we will be unable to see you or assess your eligibility for Legal Aid / Legal Help.
2 forms of ID are needed:
- One must be photographic (e.g. driver’s licence or passport)
- The second must show your up to date address (e.g. utility bill or bank statement).
If you are in receipt of any of the following benefits, you must provide evidence:
- Income Support:
– INCOME-BASED Job Seekers Allowance (NOT contributions based).
– INCOME-RELATED Employment and Support Allowance (NOT contributions based).
- Guarantee Credit:
- The evidence that is required if you receive any of these benefits is as follows (again, we are unable to proceed with your appointment if you do not bring the correct document).
- The original Benefit Notification or Award Letter AND
- Your bank/building society statement (dated within the last month) showing payment of the named benefit (an internet print-out is NOT sufficient).
- If you cannot provide both of the above items, a letter from Job Centre / DWP confirming you are in receipt of the named benefit and dated within last month is acceptable.
- Your signing on card or Job Seekers agreement is NOT acceptable evidence.
If you are NOT in receipt of one of the specific benefits listed above, further evidence is required for a full assessment. If you are living with a partner (not including the opponent in the matter on which you wish to instruct us), then evidence is also required from your partner relating to ALL the items listed below. They should also attend at the first appointment.
You must bring all of the following documents:
- Last 3 months bank/building society statements for all accounts, ISAs, investments etc.
– If paid monthly, bring last 3 months.
– If paid weekly, must bring at least last 5 weeks’ payslips.
- Child Benefit Notification / Award letter, dated within the last 6 months.
- Most recent Working / Child Tax Credits Award Notice.
- Evidence of any other benefits you receive (e.g. contribution-based JSA or ESA)?
– The original Benefit Notification / Award Letter AND
– Your bank/building society statement (dated within last month) showing payment of the named benefit.
– If you cannot provide both of the above items, a letter from Job Centre / DWP confirming you are in receipt of the named benefit and dated within last month is acceptable.
- Evidence of any pension payments received – must be dated within last month.
- Evidence of maintenance payments received – must be dated within last month.
- Evidence of any other income / dividends you receive – must be dated within last month.
- Housing costs:
– Rent book, Tenancy agreement, Mortgage statement or Copy bank statement clearly showing payment.
- Evidence of maintenance payments made by you – must be dated within last month.
- Childcare costs (if over £600):
– Bank statement clearly showing payment, or Copy agreement / contract with childminder.
- If self-employed – bank accounts or working accounts/cash book showing drawings. Also most recent tax assessment or set of accounts.